Buying a house site unseen. Would you?
July 31, 2017
Yes, I’ve helped folks buy ‘site unseen’. This article is condensed but has some of the basics.
Online photos aren’t enough!
Here’s my ‘must do’ list:
- Use a local buyer agent that is on retainer/ agreement with you, not just the seller side.
- I’d advise using a broker that will give you a referral from a client that used said broker more than once!
- Go ‘live’ on your walk thru. Interactive, voice/ video, tour in real time with your agent (broker) ‘on the ground’.
- Have an inspector give you feedback. Again, best if your broker/agent is live.
- Get your trades person that may do upgrades after purchase to give you pre-offer insights in the same way.
- Solicit immediate and local area videos – real time again is great. Good to do this during a busy weekend evening.
- View map from above. LOOK for train tracks, land fills, factories, freeways, etc etc…. look look look.
- Call: local utility for ‘estimate of usage’ for an idea of how weather tight the home is.