Due diligence is the name of the game when buying a home online. Craigslist & eBay … all chances to be scammed.
Advice boils down to research.
- Research the house,
- find out who has the title,
- confirm the square footage and lot measurements,
- find out if that lot can be built on or subdivided.
- The estimated value of the property could be out of date. Find out if there are any development plans for the neighborhood.
- Are there code violations, back taxes, demolition orders?
- Does the seller really own the house? <<< This is a good one for renters, yes, many folks are now renting from someone repping a vacant house they don’t own !