Lender started foreclosure … What should I do?

Q. My lender has started foreclosure proceedings. What should I do?

A. Immediately contact an attorney and/or a MSHDA approved foreclosure prevention counselor in your county. Click on the following link for information on foreclosure prevention counselors. http://www.mshda.info/counseling_search/. Many Michigan counties also have lawyer referral services that can assist you in finding an attorney. The Save the Dream toll-free number is 866-946-7432. Operated by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA), the hotline directs homeowners to a homeownership counselor in their county who specializes in foreclosure prevention.

For more specifics and some general counsel on “short sales”, auctions, time tables, tax consequences (there’s a big one), etc, give me a call asap.

Two Simultaneous Principal Residence Exemptions

Homeowners who are selling their homes, but moved into another home elsewhere in the State, get to have two Imageprincipal resident exemptions. …the St of MI Act provides that an owner may retain an exemption for up to 3 tax years on property previously exempt as principal residence if that property:

• is not occupied;
• is for sale;
• is not leased; and
• is not used for any business or commercial purpose

Big penalty for not rescinding when the old home is sold.

We complete this form free for clients that have retained us under buy/sell brokerage, minimal fee for others.